2.10.08

Polyvore Addiction.

Many people who know me well enough, know that when it comes to things I truly enjoy, I go through concentrated doses. For example, when I'm extremely devoured by psychology, I tend to create a collection of extra readings and American Scientist magainze around my room. If I'm moved by political climates in South America, I'll surround myself with books from underground press and read them all in a few days.
Alas, a new addiction has formed and I'm wondering just how useful this can be. Polyvore. It's the most addictive yet facilitated space where artistic expression (and penniless fashion lovers, like myself) can occur. The traffic for the website has increased to the extent that forums like TFS run weekly contests using the facilities of this webpage. Now there's no real prize, except, choosing an item or celebrity to style an item around. I ask, can we transfer these skills to our daily lives and jobs.

It's creativity and it's expression, what if a person were to create an entire stylist portfolio and present it to a job interviewer. Would it work? Considering the fact that the internet is now finding it's way onto our resumés.. have you moderated a forum? Set up a webpage? Created an online e-zine? Opened your own Ebay store? All these features are now being transferred to job positions in our offline lives.

Even if it is irrelevant to the position you're applying for, apparently it's considered a 'hobby' and 'extracurricular'. Joining sport teams? Community service? That is a thing of the past, as millions of job-seekers are now including online lives to advertise their offline careers.

Pardon my naivity but isn't the whole idea underlying extracurricular activity based on human contact? Actually physically interacting with other people and developing skills within situations you're meant to be adjusting to 'offline'.

Although this is more of a rant than a review, it does leave one to question, when is it enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...